Sunday, February 25, 2007

Literature Circles: Lexicographer

For Chapter two in the Woman Warrior we are doing literature circles. I chose the role of Lexicpgrapher, which defines some words in the chapter that we might have trouble understanding. Here are the words I found. Oh yeah, I got my definitions from http://dictionary.com


Alighted: To stay after descending
page 19: She was combing her hair one morning when a white crane alighted outside her window.

Avenge: To take exact satsifaction
Page 23: "You can avenge your village", said the old woman.

Mallard: A type of wild duck
Page 29: --the line alongside the turtle's eyes and the mallards.

Strata:Layers of Tissue
Page 29: In quarries I could se its strata, the dragon's veins and muscles; the minerals, its teeth and bones.

Paradoxes: An assertion that is essentially self- contradictory
Page 29: I learned to make my mind large, so that there is room for paradoxes.

Conscription: A contribution of money to the government during a time of War.
Page 32: -- thanking the gods outloud for protecting them from conscription.

No comments: